IPB

This is a static archive of the Babylon Zoo Forum. All content is preserved as-is.

> What do you think about the self-imposed retirement of Jas as a musician?, An Open Topic…
bringbackbzoo
post Jul 18 2009, 12:36 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 675

Is it self imposed?
Is he restricted by something?
Has he lost interest?

Interested in hearing what you lot think...

--------------------
"Today I sleep in a chair by the window....it felt as if you'd returned. I thought that you were standing over me...when I woke there was no one there... I STILL love you BOY FROM MARS"
Insomnia
post Jul 18 2009, 12:12 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 707

I'd say a little bit of sadness from my part. Many musicians write music all their life even if they do drift into some obscurity. I wouldn't be surprised if he tired of the press attention though, they're often far from kind. I'd simply love to hear from him again, some day.

--------------------
Insomnia

Adminstrator
Babylon Zoo Online
accadia
post Jul 18 2009, 01:50 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

QUOTE(Insomnia @ Jul 18 2009, 01:12 PM)

I'd say a little bit of sadness from my part. Many musicians write music all their life even if they do drift into some obscurity. I wouldn't be surprised if he tired of the press attention though, they're often far from kind. I'd simply love to hear from him again, some day.

I miss Jas too. sad.gif

--------------------
raspberryman
post Jul 18 2009, 04:53 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9

Interesting question.
I would imagine he simply got fed up with really being known for only one song and subsequent negative press (and Brasseye) and felt that it compromised his artistic freedom in some way because a lot of people wouldn't give anything new a chance. This would explain the move into film and alternative music projects like MS. Maybe he's just very down about how things panned out and that's why none of the projects seem to come to full fruition. Then again, he's always had plans like this, like the interviews in the 90s where he's talking about films and other music projects he was working on that have never seen the light of day. Perhaps that's just how he is and he needs someone like Clive Black behind him to get things finished.
I don't doubt that he's likely still creating, in whatever medium, but perhaps just in a therapeutic way. I'm sure if he had something to share then he would, we'd all be up for hearing/seeing/reading it I'm sure.
It would be nice to hear from him again but perhaps he's just tired of being messed around (people trying to find him, email him, contact him, etc). He knows where we are.

--------------------
"tell all your friends you're an angel"

Parasite Information: http://www.parasiteofficial.co.uk
Parasite MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/parasiteofficial
Christelle
post Jul 18 2009, 05:46 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 719

QUOTE(raspberryman @ Jul 18 2009, 04:53 PM)

Interesting question.
I would imagine he simply got fed up with really being known for only one song and subsequent negative press (and Brasseye) and felt that it compromised his artistic freedom in some way because a lot of people wouldn't give anything new a chance. This would explain the move into film and alternative music projects like MS. Maybe he's just very down about how things panned out and that's why none of the projects seem to come to full fruition. Then again, he's always had plans like this, like the interviews in the 90s where he's talking about films and other music projects he was working on that have never seen the light of day. Perhaps that's just how he is and he needs someone like Clive Black behind him to get things finished.
I don't doubt that he's likely still creating, in whatever medium, but perhaps just in a therapeutic way. I'm sure if he had something to share then he would, we'd all be up for hearing/seeing/reading it I'm sure.
It would be nice to hear from him again but perhaps he's just tired of being messed around (people trying to find him, email him, contact him, etc). He knows where we are.

I agree with you maybe he who wants to pass has the other thing. As I always say I respect their choices. But it has not to forget that he always got fans. And we would like to have news sometimes.
Lord-Shiva
post Jul 18 2009, 08:18 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21

QUOTE(bringbackbzoo @ Jul 18 2009, 01:36 AM)

Is it self imposed?
Is he restricted by something?
Has he lost interest?

Interested in hearing what you lot think...

All i know is that i don't like it.
Like everyone here, i miss him a lot.
And i think it's a waste of time and talent, not to make more Albums.
I always liked his ideas and he's such a creative person. I always enjoyed listening
to what he had to say in interviews or online like in the Q&A and emails.
It's a pitty really.
Insomnia
post Jul 18 2009, 11:43 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 707

In a semi-related note with talk of him never being given a second chance, it's always difficult to re-invent yourself and be recognised as someone wanting to do and convey something different.

To use an example... Fightstar has Charlie, previously of Busted. He's had a hell of a time gaining any respect simply based on his past history, despite Fightstar's music being of a very different style. People will judge it before even listening (I actually quite like them /unrelated).

The persistence can pay off, though. Fightstar did get nominated for two Kerrang! Awards.

--------------------
Insomnia

Adminstrator
Babylon Zoo Online
bringbackbzoo
post Jul 19 2009, 09:50 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 675

Yeah I agree with all the comments above. He just obviously had a totally new way of creating music and the results in my opinion were unreal. It's his albums I love... his work... nothing to do with Arthur Baker!

It makes me a bit mad now like when you see people like Michael Jackson, obviously Jas also a totally individual way of creating music...that went totally unrecognised and was totally underestimated.

It's wierd some of Jackson's ideas and Jas's ideas even down to a stage costume were similar.
Everyone remembers the spiky top, like Jas had it in white, Michael Jackson had it in black ohmy.gif I just realized this with all the recent coverage of the latter.

Jas: "Spies looking into my window I watch spies I never can deny"
MJ: "I always feel like somebody's watching me...and I have no privacy"

Even the makeup wearing and hair like, there's one interview of Jas in a black outfit on a red background- I remeber the first time I saw it I was like Is that Michael Jackson?

It just made me think I hope that Jas is out there still making music and that hopefully he doesn't spend like 80% of his life in pyjamas away from the world rolleyes.gif
He's kind of unique looking... It's not like people wouldn't recognise his face... Maybe it's tough to get new stuff started. I honestly think he was artistic in general...there's probably films,music,paintings... He's just keeping them all for himself... I'm at the point where I'd pay some serious money to hear/see just one of the hoardes of cool stuff he more than likely has...

It's so annoying- Like J.D. Salinger- He HAS the follow up novel to Catcher In The Rye...Nobody will get there hands on it until he passes...if ever...Not that I want anything to happen to Jas- NEVER EVER NEVER ohmy.gif But why keep all the good stuff for himself? I don't understand that mentality at all.

--------------------
"Today I sleep in a chair by the window....it felt as if you'd returned. I thought that you were standing over me...when I woke there was no one there... I STILL love you BOY FROM MARS"
accadia
post Jul 20 2009, 10:08 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

QUOTE(bringbackbzoo @ Jul 19 2009, 10:50 PM)

It's wierd some of Jackson's ideas and Jas's ideas even down to a stage costume were similar.
Everyone remembers the spiky top, like Jas had it in white, Michael Jackson had it in black ohmy.gif I just realized this with all the recent coverage of the latter.

Jas: "Spies looking into my window I watch spies I never can deny"
MJ: "I always feel like somebody's watching me...and I have no privacy"

Even the makeup wearing and hair like, there's one interview of Jas in a black outfit on a red background- I remeber the first time I saw it I was like Is that Michael Jackson?

And they share the same initials, albeit reversed!

--------------------
Christelle
post Jul 20 2009, 11:27 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

I agree with you:

I agree. Michael Jackson and Jaz Mann have a clothing dress and an appropriate music has they.
I am not one fan of Mickael Jackson.
It is true that Jaz Mann is not enough recognized for its talent.

As for that new music I think:

OK! I listened to 3 songs of Mariachi static. Openly (frankly): I don't like 2.
I notice that it is too commonplace we hear it at the moment everywhere. I notice that there is less of riques, it is less innovative compared in babylon Zoo which was more revolutionary. The only one what I like is Friction which is less commonplace.

We re-know well his voice, always so beautiful.

But for me it is flat, insipid, without this something which transports you in the music. But if the disk is for sale I'll go buy ot and I shall give an opinion with more songs

And of what I think of him:

Maybe that he's fed up that all his projects just ended fall has the water, He also needs maybe more time, Me on his place if we had shut the door in the face to me every time I would have made a new project I would have hung myself.

I understand that he wants to keep what he makes for him. He is not still ready maybe or maybe that he's fed up that its projects fall has the water,
I just hope he will not wait that we are old to show it...
Christelle
post Jul 20 2009, 06:34 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

I listened again several times to 3 songs of his new group (Mariachi Static). it is rock techno or it is rap rock techno because on wikipedia it is marked " in British Rock group led by former Babylon Zoo frontman Jas Mann, whose album is still awaiting has release date. "

Friction is the song I like more and more (I listen it in buckle. Stuck in my species is indeed but I find not that too original. And responding to echoes I stick in no way.
RichardM
post Aug 22 2009, 06:03 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 735

It's intresting becuase i've seen a couple of interviews that talk about Jass losing the plot.

He's almost like Syd Barrett who became a recluse after fame messed his head up.

Personally i just think he wasn't that equipped to deal with fame and being a rockstar wasn't for him. He was markted poorly and aimed mainly at kids. All the Moneys Gone for example.

After King Kong Groovers failure he quit. Until i heard the album about a year ago i could take it or leave it, now i love it. Perhaps he just did'nt care for the music industry and did'nt like the camera. Music is all about sound is'nt it?

A 3rd album would be nice Jass you know you do have fans out there who want to hear more amazing songs. Listen to The Killers new album it's about as good as King Kong is and it sold shitloads.