IPB

This is a static archive of the Babylon Zoo Forum. All content is preserved as-is.

7 Pages  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
> Cold Clockwork Doll
Lestat
post Dec 28 2005, 08:14 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 20

Hmmm so still no news on the album. Maybe Jas is like Santa and will deliver it overnight? I hope it comes out soon, Im interested in how it will sound - especially if it's rocky like TBWXRE.

--------------------
You have been a very naughty little girl
post Dec 30 2005, 06:43 PM
Post #22

Unregistered

A lot of bla bla bla on this website. This guy is already working 7 years on his album. I liked Spaceman and Is Your Soul For Sale a lot, but I've never heard of him ever since. I think he's just in for the money and isn't maybe as talented as we thought. Look for example at Prince. He's publishing new material almost every year. Since BZ has released it's debut album Prince has already published 7 records. I don't consider them all to be the work of a genius, but he did manage to publish them. And I do think Prince is a genius and Jas Mann appearently isn't. That's a very simple conclusion, but I think it's right.

I know some fans are very determined to declare someone a genius and keep hoping for new material, even for a sign of life. But believe me, Jas Mann considers this only to be his hobby. He thought he would conquer the world, but it probably is a bit tougher than he thought it to be. Real musicians keep on playing live and recording music and finding ways to publish it. I do like his debut album, but I don't think we have to expect much more from the BZ camp. And maybe you all should go on with your life and leave BZ for what it is.

I don't want to offend anybody, but to me this looks pretty clear. Get a life guys... you've been waiting for 7 fucking years now. That's a lot of recording time, don't you think?!
Steph J
post Dec 31 2005, 06:30 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2

I wouldn't care if Jas spent 20 fucking years on it, who the fuck cares that its been a while since the last album. What are you trying to say exactly? Ohh Prince is "better" because he's managed to release loads of material in that time. That makes him a better music artist? Whatever. Looks like you are trying to offend us, telling us to get a life.

--------------------
Maybe I'll find on the way down the line, that I'm free... free to be me ;)
accadia
post Dec 31 2005, 08:28 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Obviously Jas hasn't spent 7 years working on a follow-up album to TBWTXRE. The second album was KKG in '99 and there was probably something like a two-year hiatus after that where Jas wasn't writing material for another Babylon Zoo album (although there was Love Lies Bleeding).
He hasn't actually been working on this new record for that long... since 2004, is it?
And there's been other musical projects like the Speedway Grand Prix theme and music he did for that documentary film on William Gibson. Maybe other stuff we don't know about.
Jas has always said music is just one of his loves and he does other things. He isn't prolific, but so what? Many 'real' musicians have long gaps inbetween records - it's not that unusual. If this album doesn't transpire I'm not going to kill myself.
And who said Jas was a genius (apart from himself!)? I don't think he is anyway.

--------------------
Lestat
post Dec 31 2005, 10:23 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE(Guest @ Dec 30 2005, 08:43 PM)

A lot of bla bla bla on this website. This guy is already working 7 years on his album. I liked Spaceman and Is Your Soul For Sale a lot, but I've never heard of him ever since. I think he's just in for the money and isn't maybe as talented as we thought. Look for example at Prince. He's publishing new material almost every year. Since BZ has released it's debut album Prince has already published 7 records. I don't consider them all to be the work of a genius, but he did manage to publish them. And I do think Prince is a genius and Jas Mann appearently isn't. That's a very simple conclusion, but I think it's right.

I know some fans are very determined to declare someone a genius and keep hoping for new material, even for a sign of life. But believe me, Jas Mann considers this only to be his hobby. He thought he would conquer the world, but it probably is a bit tougher than he thought it to be. Real musicians keep on playing live and recording music and finding ways to publish it. I do like his debut album, but I don't think we have to expect much more from the BZ camp. And maybe you all should go on with your life and leave BZ for what it is.

I don't want to offend anybody, but to me this looks pretty clear. Get a life guys... you've been waiting for 7 fucking years now. That's a lot of recording time, don't you think?!

Go to a mental hospital whoever you are.

I'm a Guns N' Roses fan also and I've waited 15 years now. I don't care if I have to wait another 15 and with Babylon Zoo I feel the same. Just because someone releases music every year doesn't mean he's a genius, just means he has a lot of verbal diahorrea. I like Prince too but he isn't a genius. Few good songs and thats it.

I think you have nothing better to do than to waste your time typing messages on forums that you know people will not like.

If you were a fan, you would wait as long as you had to.

--------------------
You have been a very naughty little girl
Lord-Shiva
post Jan 1 2006, 07:55 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21

QUOTE(Guest @ Dec 30 2005, 08:43 PM)

Idiot ..., that's what i think of you..and ehh shut up. thanks
Mikkaelson
post Jan 1 2006, 08:29 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17

I had to wait 15 years for a new Tears For Fears album and when it came it was damn awesome and worth every second waiting for it!!

And its not like he hasn't been busy.... he's been pursuing other projects and I don't blame him. Nothing wrong with having a little variety in your career.

This post has been edited by Mikkaelson: Jan 1 2006, 08:31 PM

--------------------
Cigerettes, ice cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary
Cadillacs, blue jeans, drop a glass full of antique sherry
chr0me
post Jan 2 2006, 11:24 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 22

Yeah, he hasn't been working on a new album for 7 f'ing years, he has gone off into other areas (he could have churned out dribble like Prince, who is obviously out for the cash spouting crap every year, but chose not to, and to explore other areas - to me, that's being more of a musician than "The Artist Formerly Known As The Artist Formerly Known As Prince").
He's done songs with Nell McAndrew, he went off and became part of Mariachi Static (which I loved, what happened with them?) and released a couple of GREAT songs on the side, like Parallel lines and Love Lies Bleeding (pure gems)

My 2¢

--------------------
Electronic information... tampers with your soul!
chr0me
post Jan 6 2006, 03:03 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 22

I thought I would do a 'positive' post about the upcoming album.
I hope Jas has gathered some more outlook on life at its present stage. His lyrics are brill when looking back at TBWTXRE and KKG, and Love Lies Bleeding and Parellel Lines... even with Mariachi Static each song MEANT something, it's ABOUT something.

I mean, look at what we get today, we get "My Humps" by the BEP?? WTF? Seriously, how much substance is in a song like that? Each song by Jas had it's own distinct sound, not just the same chords with a different rhythm. Each was it's own person.

All I have to offer to Jas, is that it felt to me he was under pressure to make KKG a success and looked for inspiration towards the successful 'Spaceman' on the TBWTXRE. However, it being too focussed he themed most of the new album on it with many 'space' themes in the songs. e.g. Honeymoon In Space, Manhattan Martian etc. To me it had a very 'spacey' feel to it, and I feel that is the reason it suffered.
Don't be harsh on me, it's just what I feel.

Just my 2¢ smile.gif

--------------------
Electronic information... tampers with your soul!
Chris
post Jan 6 2006, 05:47 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1

Just a note regarding Guest posting, they're now disabled. If people want to be a part of this community, I don't believe the two minutes it takes to register is that much to ask of someone smile.gif
Hona
post Jan 30 2006, 10:39 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 45

So any info about Jas? Should someone e-mail and ask what's going on? Or has someone done that already?
He really likes to torture his fans in this way. biggrin.gif

--------------------
There's a fire between us
So where is your God
There's a fire between us
I can't get off the carousel
I can't get off this world
jimmy
post Jan 30 2006, 11:37 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 49

Hello, I'm trying to get hold of Jas Mann to interview him for a magazine. I've emailed the address on Hub Records with no reply and I'm wondering what to do next. It strikes me that Hub Records was set up in 2004, and (tell me if i'm wrong) hasn't released anything. The hub records website hasn't, as far as I can tell, ever changed and the artisits they represent don't register anywhere else on the internet, excepting Marachi Static who are a Denver based country and western act, who I assume Jas Mann is probobaly not involved with. (I think the name 'Marachi Static' comes from a William Gibson novel).

His colaborator, Jose Martinez Jr, also fails to register on google. He does not appear to be at Arthouse Films either, nor is he involved with the Santa Fe film festival, as stated on the "news" part of the website. I've not sent them any post as I strongly suspect they no longer keep the PO box listed on their website.

None of the links from their website shed any light, with the three other than the link to here all being subsiduaries of Palm Pictures. Sputnik 7's website looks dead, and the the two seem to be representative of the kind of enterprise that employ no staff and exist by virtue of Palm Pictures.

In short, neither of these people or their artists seem to be promoting themselves at all, and have produced no trace on the internet for some time. Does any body have any ideas on where I should go next? I hope somebody can tell me where i've gone wrong.

Thanks, Jimmy.
Mikkaelson
post Jan 30 2006, 11:47 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

The future of Babylon Zoo looks very bleak indeed sad.gif

I think the administrator for this forum Chris has a fax and telephone number. Whether he'd share it over the net... I don't know.

--------------------
Steph J
post Jan 30 2006, 12:28 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

I don't know what to say... i didn't realise everything was so... lifeless. For Mariachi static and the other "new" stuff.
But, i'm full of hope for Babylon Zoo. To me, thats a completely different thing wink.gif

This post has been edited by Steph J: Jan 30 2006, 12:30 PM

--------------------
accadia
post Jan 30 2006, 12:41 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Jimmy: Try ringing Hub Records on 0870 240 8880.

--------------------
rydo
post Jan 30 2006, 01:52 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

I thought I'd add my tuppence worth to this topic.

Trying to put down what I think on words is a bit difficult for this.

Despite creating one of the most successful songs of the 90's, a decade controlled purely by Pop such as Take That and The Spice Girls, Jas Mann failed to live up to any expectation at all, did he?

The music on the album I own is really cool, but the words are a bit unusual, certainly not catchy. Apart from Spaceman.

I think instead of trying to write new songs with his old sci fi attitude, Jas should jot down all his feelings from about 1996 to 1999 where he became very famous to becoming a bit of a laughing stock. I mean, how many rock bands get to number 1 with a debut single, and are never heard of again? It really is a very unusual story.

I think he should write the next album on that experience. Make the whole album a story. Make it interesting, full of powerful words, listing everything from success to failure, from the band breaking up, to trying to recreate the band again. You know?

Sadly he'll miss the boat with my idea though. He should have the album on a shelf right now waiting to get it put onto the market. As far as im concerned, this is the time to do it. Babylon Zoo are going to be getting quoted in newspapers, shown on tv, probably played on radio stations when the time arrives that Spaceman was released 10 years previously. A lot of people will think to themselves "Fuck, i wonder what happened to him" they'll google Babylon Zoo and wouldnt it be great if they could log on and see a date for the new album release? It would keep them interested.

Sadly though I cant imagine we'll ever get a new album. As someone said earlier, it seems just like its a hobby to him. Real artists see it as a way of life. In interviews and such like, its clear that Jas Mann sees his future in film, not music. Which is fair enough. Im sure he made enough money with that 1 song to fund his dream.

I just enjoy retro things, it would be a joy to go and see Babylon Zoo play a UK tour at least playing all the small club venues. Im sure a lot of people would go along just for Spaceman. It would be an experience if nothing else.
Mikkaelson
post Jan 30 2006, 02:03 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

QUOTE(accadia @ Jan 30 2006, 12:41 PM)

Jimmy: Try ringing Hub Records on 0870 240 8880.

And let us all know how you got on.... smile.gif

--------------------
Steph J
post Jan 30 2006, 02:19 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Lord-Shiva @ Jan 1 2006, 07:55 PM)

Idiot ..., that's what i think of you..and ehh shut up. thanks

This is my favourite post on the forum so far biggrin.gif

--------------------
jimmy
post Jan 31 2006, 04:54 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 49

Hello,

Just to let you know how I got on with looking for Jas Mann: the UK and London Hub Recordings phone numbers no longer work, and I've recieved no email back from them after two weeks. I've emailed Plam Pictures and they've not got back to me about Jose Marnitz Jr, who Jasmann was supposed to be colaborating with. I also found an email address for the owner of the Hub Records site, which is at the Art House pictures domain, however the email bounced, so I think we can assume that Jose Marintz no longer works there.

Polydor and EMI have not got back to me to tell me if they know anything, but I strongly suspect that they won't. As I'm sure you are aware Jasbinder Mann does not show anything recent on google, none of the bands he was going to represent come up at all, and so I now consider possibilites exhausted. Thanks for your help, any suggestions welcomed.

I found some strange stuff out though, about 2003 apparently he recorded an album with Nell McAndrew!
Steph J
post Jan 31 2006, 05:02 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

We've had a few discussions about Nell Mcandrew recording an album with him..

Your research proves to be alarming and very disappointing. The hope i had is draining away gradually.. but there's still a bit of belief there. but only a bit.

--------------------

7 Pages  < 1 2 3 4 > »