IPB

This is a static archive of the Babylon Zoo Forum. All content is preserved as-is.

2 Pages   1 2 >  
> Update from the dark depths
Chris
post Apr 25 2006, 10:31 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1

Hey BZoo Fans,

It's been a while since I stopped by, which most of you probably noticed. No doubt you feel neglected once again by your fellow webmaster of this site, sadly a running trend. It wasn't intentional; hopefully you can still love me just a little, right? In your position I'd believe the webmaster has either abandoned his (or her) responsibilities, or be rather ecstatic at the idea a hostel takeover could become a real possibility!

But you guys wouldn't do that to me, would you? unsure.gif

So what's been up?

My previous post (this one) mentioned the need to move to a new server, and move to a new server the site did. But, it also opened up - or so it seemed at the time - a good opportunity. I'm sure you'll all agree, that a good opportunity often needs only one word for the description: profit. Not wanting to let this good fortune pass me by, I attempted to go through the process of setting up a small business, which would hopefully bring in a little profit or make the site(s) I run self sufficient at least.

It's nice to dream. For those who have never ventured down the business creating road, let me tell you it's no easy ride. I didn't go into it expecting to be, but there are a lot of things you have to worry about. What's more, if your hardware base is in the US - which mine is - you potentially have to look at two sets of laws and tax rules. The laws of one country can be enough to make your head spin, never mind two.. Maybe there's a valid reason people pay lawyers insane amounts of money after all.

Regardless, if you're determined, why not? Where would Bill Gates be if he said "Ah, these laws are too complex". Now Microsoft has enough money to do just about whatever it feels like.. Alright, so you're not going to be having your own billionaire webmaster any time soon but every little helps to get buy in life. Only yesterday it looked like the chance of breaking even was looming just around the corner. I'd opted to use Google AdSense as additional revenue, but it ended up being the profit-creating trump card. By the 15th of this month I'd have paid off all setup costs, and gone into profit for the first time since starting out. Not bad, like all people I was proud of the achievement even if it was small.

But alas, another problem struck. My Google AdSense account was suspended, and all money generated from it will no longer be sent to me, because apparently I have been trying to generate "invalid clicks".

That really pissed me off. Google, you fucking suck. I assure you all; I had gone to the highest possible measures to ensure none of the AdSense rules were violated. I have not personally clicked adverts, I have not encouraged clicking of the adverts, I have not modified the code to try and generate false clicks, I have not used click programs, I have not asked personal associates to click the adverts. Everything I generated from it was completely valid. If an individual clicked multiple times, that's nothing to do with me.

It goes without saying, I've been pretty stressed trying to work things out and I've just let stuff slide. I hope you guys understand. I've been busy coding to boot, working on an IRC client based in Flash. Flash doesn't natively support IRC but it does support XML sockets, so that involved modifying the IRC daemon code to make it XML socket compatible without breaking existing connection methods and IRC clients. Oh, and learning action scripting which I didn't know. It was for a client, it had cause. Sounds like fun right? tongue.gif

BZoo news.. I wish. I'm disappointed, and feel for you guys, that an album was promised and now there's absolutely no news regarding it. So much for submitting your words and getting a song made with them all too huh? I've had no new contact from Hub Records, has anyone else? I'll try catching up with posts as soon as possible but a brief over scan it doesn't look like anyone has heard.

Alien Autopsy, which I mentioned used Spaceman in the trailer, seems to be using different music in another trailer for the film. Is it possible EMI were not able to get the rights? None of this fits really. Past emails said that Jas didn't have rights (or copyright) to the existing music nor the Babylon Zoo name. Why then, was a new album to be released under that name, and why would EMI need to contact Jas about getting permission to use the music?

Before I sign off this post, one more thing; don't use Google. smile.gif

Your webmaster with insane blood pressure,
// Chris
Steph J
post Apr 25 2006, 11:16 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2

Oh man.. what can i say to all that? I was hoping that the world of web development would be a certain path to riches, and a relatively easy way of living. maybe not!!
But seriously, we understand why you haven't been around, and thats fine

As for Jas music, Spaceman is also being used for some kids tv show on one of those digital BBC channels. Wondered if anyone else had heard it..

--------------------
Maybe I'll find on the way down the line, that I'm free... free to be me ;)
Chris
post Apr 25 2006, 11:21 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

You've been watching BBC digital kids shows? For shame... Nah, only kidding. I watch that when I'm really bored. Maybe we should contact the BBC and get hold of Jas that way? biggrin.gif
Hona
post Apr 25 2006, 11:23 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 45

That Google thing really sucks. My boyfriend had the same problem (in his webpages) and he didn't even cheat on it. Maybe the Google does that to everyone. Just to earn money. Bitches.

--------------------
There's a fire between us
So where is your God
I can't get off the carousel
I can't get off this world
Chris
post Apr 25 2006, 11:28 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

It does actually seem like that... corrupt bastards. It was on a popular loc. so all I'll say is the money I was getting generated from it was going to be pretty darn good...

Oh yea, that reminds me. While I'm being double posting evil (twice in one day! biggrin.gif ), if you found the server offline at any time lastnight/this morning the router was being upgraded.

This post has been edited by Chris: Apr 25 2006, 11:25 AM
Steph J
post Apr 25 2006, 12:00 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Can't google work out what IP address the multi-clicking is coming from?

--------------------
Chris
post Apr 25 2006, 01:14 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Steph J @ Apr 25 2006, 01:00 PM)

Can't google work out what IP address the multi-clicking is coming from?

That's what I thought personally, so they'd just ban those IP addresses rather than going "Lolz, you're terminated, thx for the free advertising space".
loser kid
post Apr 25 2006, 01:20 PM
Post #8

Unregistered

lol that sucks.. while on the subject, can please get rid of "Quake"? he obviously isn't a BZ fan andjust come on to start trouble
Mikkaelson
post Apr 25 2006, 01:41 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17

QUOTE(loser kid @ Apr 25 2006, 02:20 PM)

lol that sucks.. while on the subject, can please get rid of "Quake"? he obviously isn't a BZ fan andjust come on to start trouble

Yeah... and Barry laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif .... damn whippersnapper (jk)

--------------------
Cigerettes, ice cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary
Cadillacs, blue jeans, drop a glass full of antique sherry
Hona
post Apr 25 2006, 01:53 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Yeah. Can you just delete us all? Plz!!1 rolleyes.gif
But those who hasn't post like 1 month or at all?

--------------------
So where is your God
accadia
post Apr 25 2006, 01:57 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

On one forum, they suspend or delete user's accounts when they use text speak.

This post has been edited by accadia: Apr 25 2006, 02:00 PM

--------------------
Chris
post Apr 25 2006, 01:58 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

I dunno, I'm kinda lazy tongue.gif

Plus I don't really see the point in deleting people's. I can spam their email accounts biggrin.gif
Mikkaelson
post Apr 25 2006, 02:00 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE(accadia @ Apr 25 2006, 02:57 PM)

On one forum, they suspend or delete user's accounts when they use text speak.

WoT u MeAn I cAnT tAlK lIk dIs NoMoRe

--------------------
Chris
post Apr 25 2006, 02:01 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

ur kidding? i alwys tlk lik tis
Mikkaelson
post Apr 25 2006, 02:01 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Chris @ Apr 25 2006, 02:58 PM)

I dunno, I'm kinda lazy tongue.gif

Plus I don't really see the point in deleting people's. I can spam their email accounts biggrin.gif

Especially with so few members as it is.... maybe people will come back

--------------------
Chris
post Apr 25 2006, 02:04 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Mikkaelson @ Apr 25 2006, 03:01 PM)

Especially with so few members as it is.... maybe people will come back

That's kinda what I was hoping for.. SPAM TO THE MAX! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Chris: Apr 25 2006, 02:05 PM
quiet rob
post Apr 25 2006, 03:37 PM
Post #17

Unregistered

QUOTE(Hona @ Apr 25 2006, 02:53 PM)

Yeah. Can you just delete us all? Plz!!1 rolleyes.gif

Yeah agreed... please do... dry.gif
Chris
post Apr 25 2006, 04:56 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Wouldn't it be more fun if I just gave you all admin status? wink.gif
Hona
post Apr 25 2006, 05:05 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Chris @ Apr 25 2006, 07:56 PM)

Wouldn't it be more fun if I just gave you all admin status? wink.gif

LoL. It would be cool. Everytime I'm mad at/I hate someone I can just delete that person! biggrin.gif

--------------------
So where is your God
Steph J
post Apr 25 2006, 05:16 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

khihi. (as heini says wink.gif ) this is a funny thread. I like the spamming idea wink.gif

Edit: too many winks in this post me thinks wink.gif

This post has been edited by Steph J: Apr 25 2006, 05:17 PM

--------------------

2 Pages   1 2 >