IPB

This is a static archive of the Babylon Zoo Forum. All content is preserved as-is.

> Archived articles
accadia
post Jun 18 2006, 01:39 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

I got these from a website called highbeam research and thought I'd share.

MANN MAKES SPACE The Mirror (London, England); 1/30/1996; Wright, Matthew
BABYLON Zoo star Jas Mann coldly evicted his best mates - days after sacking them from the chart-topping band.
He ordered twins Robin and Paul Allcock out of his home by answerphone, telling them: "You have got to go."
Although they both appear alongside the star on Britain's fastest-selling debut single, Spaceman, neither expect to make a penny from it.
They share a dingy bedsit in Wolverhampton and must survive on pounds 36 a week in state handouts, while Jas enjoys the benefits of a seven-album deal with EMI, including a Porsche and a Range Rover.
Keyboard player Robin told me: "I couldn't believe what was happening."

1/5/1999 - BABYLON Zoo's Jas Mann was the cover star of the Birmingham Evening Mail's first ever Music Power back in 1996 - and now the 27-year-old is back in the spotlight with a new album and single out soon.
Dudley-born Jas soared to prominence when his song 'Spaceman' was used in an ad for Levi's jeans. It was number one in 19 countries and allowed him to travel the world, sometimes taking as many as seven plane flights a week.
"It was a barrage of bad hair days," he smiles. "Before all this happened I'd been on just one flight - to India when I was six years old."
Eighteen months on the road was an exhausting but inspiring experience for Jas.
"I had my acoustic guitar with me at all times so I spent a lot of time
writing. It was instead of keeping a diary, I tried to get across the things I was experiencing in my songs."
By the time the tour had concluded Jas had 50 songs. These were whittled down to 10 for the new album, 'King Kong Groover'.
The record is inhabited with a host of imaginary characters, including Aroma Girl, the Chrome Invader and the King Kong Groover himself.
As an avid comics fan - he was a regular customer at Brum's Nostalgia & Comics store before fame intervened - Jas was keen to exploit these fantasy figures.
The video for the single 'All the Money's Gone' is a three minute Manga-style cartoon featuring Jas as a superhero.
"I originally wanted the video for 'Spaceman' to be a cartoon but they take seven months to produce," he says. "It's a dream come true for me to 'star' in a cartoon. Marvel and DC Comics fans will recognise certain things in the video, like some of the f igures are drawn in a 'Spiderman stance'."
Comic book
Jas now hopes that the characters will be included in a regular comic book, with Marvel, publishers of Spiderman and the Hulk, being lined up to produce it.
Meanwhile, Jas is preparing to return to live work and hopes to play Wolverhampton as part of a British tour.
"I've never played a home town gig so I'd love to play Wolverhampton Civic Hall or, better still, JB's in Dudley, which is just around the corner from where I used to live."
Other projects on the go include a possible score for a William Gibson-scripted movie and the setting up of a film company, New Atlantis Films.
Jas explains: "I've got many friends working in the film industry and they send me scripts which I adjust for them. As New Atlantis, we're working on an animated urban tale about a futuristic society. It's very risque and cutting edge."
It all seems a long way from Jas' early brushes with fame when he found himself on Top of the Pops for the first time.
"I got back to my parents' home at around 2am and found I was locked out," he recalls. "I managed to get my dad up and I was really excited about the TV show.
"'Did you see me on Top of the Pops?' I asked. 'Do you know what time it is?' was his reply as he stormed back upstairs to bed!"

Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland); 2/29/1996; Dingwall, John
Asian pop sensation Jas Mann is zooming to Scotland hot on the heels of his chart-topping Spaceman single. The Babylon Zoo singer promises his only Scottish date will be unforgettable.
And I can exclusively reveal the 24-year-old from Wolverhampton has based the one-off show on a Vampire Circus theme.
Jas, who'll be singing songs from his Boy With The X-Ray Eyes LP, tells me: "I've always been a fan of Hammer House of Horror films.
"So the other members of the band will all be dressed as scary animals. I'm calling it the Vampire Circus tour.
"But I'll still be wearing the sari designed by my mum, Avtar."
Meanwhile, the Sikh singer declares he always knew Spaceman would be No.1 because, he says: "I'm the only person making music that hasn't been heard before."
Catch his superb live show at The Barrowlands, Glasgow, on April 15.
And I intend to carry on that way. Now I can't wait to get to Scotland. I've a lot of friends there and people there have a very similar energy to my own."
Catch his superb live show at The Barrowlands on April 15.

Sunday Mail (Glasgow, Scotland); 8/30/1998; MacLeod, Ewan GOSSIP: ONE-HIT wonder boy Jas Mann, of Babylon Zoo, has turned into a rock 'n' roll eccentric. The singer has been buying whole wardrobes of designer suits... and then throwing them away. Why? Just because he can afford to.
Ironic, then, that his new single is called All The Money's Gone. It will be soon, if you carry on like that.
An epic, and I'll bet expensive, video brilliantly depicts Jas as a cartoon hero. What a shame the song sounds like a rip-off of Seventies glam group T-Rex and would have been perfect for the new Velvet Goldmine soundtrack.

Sunday Mercury (Birmingham, England); 8/16/1998
POP star Jas Mann last night revealed how he has been stalked around the world... by an air hostess.
The devoted fan met him as he arrived at NINE separate international airports.
But the Babylon Zoo star later discovered she worked for Swiss Air and had been using the company's computer to check where he was flying to.
Jas, aged 27, from Wolverhampton, is on the comeback trail more than two years after he hit No 1 with the multi-million-selling Spaceman.
Spacemen spent five weeks at No 1 in the UK - where it was used to sell Levi's jeans - and also topped the charts in an amazing 22 countries.
Jas said: "It was a rollercoaster 12 months.
"I seemed to be spending all my life in airport departure lounges and just went from one country to another.
"Before that I'd only been abroad once.
"One time, I flew from London to Milan back to London and then Hong Kong and Australia all in the space of a couple of days.
"I also had problems with stalkers.
"One woman was incredible. She met me off the plane at about nine different airports and would present me with drawings.
"We later discovered she was an air hostess with Swiss Air and would work out wherever I was going to travel."
Wolves fan Jas has left his Black Country home and bought a house in Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, where he lives with his parents.
Babylon Zoo's new single - ironically titled All The Money's Gone - is out next month and an album follows in October.

Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland); 9/26/1996; Dingwall, John
Madcap Babylon Zoo singer Jas Mann has teamed up with Italian soccer star Paolo Maldini ...
For some fancy footwork on Milan's newest dance floor.
The pair have become pals after the AC Milan defender caught one of Babylon Zoo's live shows in Italy.
And Maldini has asked 24-year-old singer Jas to help him open a futuristic nightclub near Milan's San Siro stadium.
Jas - born in Wolverhampton of Punjabi parents - told me: "Paolo and I meet regularly for lunch at a restaurant he co-owns, and we decided to open a club together. It will have a Star Trek theme because Paolo is really into sci- fi. It'll be the most insane robots bar and nightclub."
Football-daft Jas, who wears saris made by his mum and mascara borrowed from his little sister, has already recorded a football single for the AC Milan team.
And he follows the Scots football results because his manager is a Hearts supporter.
Jas said: "There's a lot of teams in Scotland who could do really well if they had more money.
"But don't look at me - I'm going to start off by sorting Wolves out."
JAS shot to fame when Spaceman became the fastest selling single ever after being featured in a Levis advert.
And the workaholic singer releases his latest single, The Man With The X- Ray Eyes, on Monday.
Then Hollywood gore-shockers director Roger Corman will make a movie of the singer's debut film script,Vampire Assassins.
Jas says: "It's a cross between The Day Of The Jackal and Dracula AD."

Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland); 4/11/1996; By JOHN DINGWALL
COSMIC sex god Jas Mann's star went into orbit when Spaceman rocketed into the charts to become the fastest-selling single of all time.
Babylon Zoo's lunar odd-ball became an overnight sensation with the song from the Levis ad featuring Russian space stunner Kristina Semenovskaia. The band's new single - Animal Army - is released on Monday ... the same day the Jas Man takes the stage at Glasgow's Barrowlands.
And that will give the wacky Urban Spaceman the chance to nail critics who claim Babylon Zoo will end up in the graveyard of pop's one-hit wonders.
He said: "I always knew Spaceman would be number one because the pop scene is static.
"I'm the only person making music that hasn't been heard before. And I intend to carry on. I want to be bigger than anything else on this planet. I want to be global."
The success of Spaceman has made 24-year-old Jas - whose family moved to Wolverhampton from the Punjab - a millionaire.
He shuns the usual trappings of fame, saying: "I was brought up with values which have little to do with making money. If I had been materialistic I would never have made it. I sold all my records and my clothes to pay for my first record demo."
But the other side of pop fame is harder to resist ... particularly the women who flock to his side.
He says: "l get a real buzz knowing women are attracted to me."
Looking ahead to Monday night's gig, he added: "I love Scotland. The people are more friendly than the English and there is a similar energy to India."

The Mirror (London, England); 12/27/1996; Wright, Matthew
Jas Mann is the new Spaceman in the life of supermodel Christy Turlington.
The Babylon Zoo singer has been enjoying cosy dates with Christy, 26, since meeting at the Milan fashion shows.
They have even spent a day playing at FA Schwartz - New York's giant toy shop featured in the Tom Hanks movie Big.
Jas, 24, told a pal: "Christy is far more intelligent than most people imagine a model to be."

Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland); 1/23/1996; Dingwall, John
Pop sensation Jas Mann reckons he's the sexiest thing to hit the charts in years.
And the Indian-born singer has grabbed overnight chart success - while wearing a sari and mascara!
Boasts blue-eyed Jas: "I was a sex symbol as soon as I jumped out of the womb.
"I love women and there's nothing better than knowing women are sexually attracted to me."
On stage Jas, 24, slips into saris made by mum Avtar, wearing mascara nicked from his three sisters.
Jas laughs: "Saris are really comfortable to wear, just like the kilt in Scotland, And a lot of fun."
Unknown just seven days ago, pop's latest overnight sensation is now celebrating his first-ever number one.
His group, Babylon Zoo, kicked George Michael's comeback disc off the top of the charts and into orbit with their debut single, Spaceman.
And they did it in style - by becoming the fastest selling record in British music history.
Now the rest of the pop world had better sit up and take notice.
Jas told me: "I always knew Spaceman would be number one because the pop scene is static.
"I'm the only person making music that hasn't been heard before. And I intend to carry on that way."
Instant success hasn't come easy. The Wolverhampton warbler, who still lives at home, says he sacrificed material wealth for a chance of pop stardom.
Jas says: "I had to sell all my possessions and clothes to afford to go into the record studios. That paid for my first demo tape which got me a record deal."
Along with 200 other music fans, I crammed into a tiny London studio at the weekend to watch Babylon Zoo provide their historic first-ever live concert - for Channel 4's The White Room.
And their performance showed the band have no intention of joining pop's long list of one-hit wonders.
The single Spaceman - cut by top producer Arthur Baker - has already been beamed into the nation's living rooms, thanks to the latest Levi's ad.
It features a rebellious alien girl returning home to her angry parents on planet Gallactica.
Mum and dad are furious because she has been on a shopping spree to Earth to buy a pair of her favourite jeans.
And 16-year-old Russian catwalk queen Kristina Semenovskaia looks stunning as she drops off the keys to dad's spaceship and wanders off into the purple sunset.
Yet Jas probably won't be seen dead in a pair of denims ... unless mum cuts them into a dress.
Now saris for men are set to be all the rage.
"Since I wore one on Top of the Pops, she's been inundated with requests from other people wanting to buy them, too."
Babylon Zoo is the seventh number one from the Levi series of TV and cinema adverts.
Marvin Gaye's Heard It Through The Grapevine was the first to reach the top 10 back in 1985, peaking at number 8.
It soundtracked Nick Kamen's sexy striptease in a launderette where he shrinks his 501s to fit.
But the chart-toppers began with Ben E. King's 50s classic Stand By Me two years later.
Steve Miller's The Joker and punk classic Should I Stay Or Should I Go by The Clash followed soon after.
T-Rex topped the charts with 20th Century Boy in 1991, 14 years after singer Marc Bolan's death.
And unknown Scots Stiltskin rocketed to the top with Inside in 1994, for an ad showing Quaker girls spying on a sexy male bathing in a river.
The last Levi-inspired number one was ragga star Shaggy's Boombastic.
But Babylon Zoo have become the most successful of all-time with supersales of Spaceman.

Mann alive, Jas almost died... Sunday Mail (Glasgow, Scotland); 4/28/1996; Macleod, Ewan
Babylon Zoo singer Jas Mann nearly died on a recent trip to India - after collapsing with food poisoning.
He said: "There were no ambulances so I was carried five miles to hospital on a plank of wood.
"Then we had to wake up a doctor who wouldn't treat me until I gave him some rupees!
"He finally gave me a drip which he hung from a washing line." Babylon Zoo, whose single Spaceman was No 1 in seventeen countries, had to cancel a recent tour.
But Jas assured me that the dates are all being re-scheduled and that tickets will still be valid.

Birmingham Mail (England); 1/5/2006
Twenty years after the death of Thin Lizzy frontman Phil Lynott, Midland tribute band Dizzy Lizzy plan to release a new song to commemorate the rock legend's contribution to music.
The track - The Loved - has been penned by Dizzy Lizzy and has already received the seal of approval from Thin Lizzy's original guitarist Eric Bell.
"When he heard it he said he wished he'd have played on it," reveals Haldin 'H' Wright who dons wig, shades and leather trousers to become Dizzy Lizzy's vocalist and bass player. "We've still got some production work to do on the song so we may record another version featuring Eric."
H fell into the tribute act game almost by accident. He was a member of Babylon Zoo before they had a huge hit with Spaceman.
"I was part of the first showcase in Brierley Hill that led to the band being signed," he recalls.
"The problem was, I found myself with nothing to do as I waited for the band's singer Jas Mann to decide in what direction he wanted to take the band.
"That's when I teamed up with some more guys on the Birmingham music circuit to form Dizzy Lizzy."

Sunday Mercury (Birmingham, England); 5/9/1999
BABYLON Zoo's Spaceman became the UK's fastest selling debut single of all time in 1996.
In just one week 500,000 copies were sold after it was featured as the soundtrack for a jeans advert. The song went on to top the charts in another 22 countries.
But if the sudden success was a surprise to most, it wasn't to flamboyant lead singer/songwriter Jas Mann.
He penned the futuristic tune in an upstairs bedroom of his parents' Wolverhampton home - and knew it was destined for number one.
Jas, speaking just after the single topped the charts, said: "I was expecting this success. A racing driver knows when he's got the best car - and I know I've done something that's far superior to most things out there. I'm a great songwriter and I could become a musical genius."
However, despite the boasts Spaceman Jas, born in Dudley, soon came crashing down to earth.
His follow-up single, The Boy With The X-Ray Eyes, bombed and his band's reputation was further damaged with a series of scathing live reviews.
Babylon Zoo's second album, King King Groover, was released three months ago but it has been slated by critics and has, so far, sold less than 10,000 copies.
A music insider said: "Sales figures for King Kong Groover have been a disaster. Basically, the album has flopped because the music isn't good enough.
"Jas is trying to be new and radical but, instead, sounds like a poor man's David Bowie.
"It was always going to be difficult to top Spaceman - and now it looks impossible."
A spokesman for EMI, Jas's record company, refused to speculate on his long-term future. She said: "It's not EMI policy to talk about record sales."

--------------------
raspberryman
post Jun 18 2006, 09:30 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 9

nice one

--------------------
"tell all your friends you're an angel"

Parasite Information: http://www.parasiteofficial.co.uk
Parasite MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/parasiteofficial
rydo
post Jul 5 2006, 05:55 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

With the way music is these days, I think that King Kong Groover would be more appreciated if it was to be released this year and not in 1999.

I was really hopeful of a new album to be released this year. Shame how its all turned out.
Mikkaelson
post Jul 5 2006, 09:16 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17

QUOTE(rydo @ Jul 5 2006, 06:55 PM)

With the way music is these days, I think that King Kong Groover would be more appreciated if it was to be released this year and not in 1999.

I was really hopeful of a new album to be released this year. Shame how its all turned out.

I've preached that about babylon Zoo since since the begining of time. As much as it pains me to say it, they couldn't compete with 1996 girl power and should of waited until the inevitable death of the Spice Girls to launch a Pre-Muse attack on the charts.

--------------------
Cigerettes, ice cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary
Cadillacs, blue jeans, drop a glass full of antique sherry
rydo
post Jul 5 2006, 10:05 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

Nothing could compete with the Spice Girls. That was a painful time for all of us growing up back then.
raspberryman
post Jul 6 2006, 12:09 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9

I liked the Spice Girls back then!

--------------------
"tell all your friends you're an angel"

Parasite Information: http://www.parasiteofficial.co.uk
Parasite MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/parasiteofficial
sephiroth
post Jul 6 2006, 07:09 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 64

back then I was infatuated with Michael Jackson unsure.gif
I was 8 tongue.gif

--------------------
Steph J
post Jul 6 2006, 07:24 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(raspberryman @ Jul 6 2006, 01:09 AM)

me too! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Maybe I'll find on the way down the line, that I'm free... free to be me ;)
Mikkaelson
post Jul 6 2006, 11:11 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17

QUOTE(raspberryman @ Jul 6 2006, 01:09 AM)

QUOTE(Steph J @ Jul 6 2006, 08:24 AM)

me too! biggrin.gif

I knew there was something sordid about your past tongue.gif

--------------------
Cigerettes, ice cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary
Cadillacs, blue jeans, drop a glass full of antique sherry
adialurun
post Jan 12 2008, 07:44 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 653

Hello,

I didnít see this in the ďArticleĒ section, so I thought Iíd scan it. Itís from Q, April 1996. Anyway, I have some more articles back from 1996. Iíll post 1 article at a time, to keep the forumers occupied, hopefully.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image