IPB

This is a static archive of the Babylon Zoo Forum. All content is preserved as-is.

> No more albums
Mikkaelson
post Jun 14 2007, 03:34 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17

Going by this example will all groups follow suit??? Is this then end of albums as we know it???

--------------------
Cigerettes, ice cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary
Cadillacs, blue jeans, drop a glass full of antique sherry
rydo
post Jun 14 2007, 04:02 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

I dont see why Ash think its necessary to do that. Sure, downloads are now more popular than ever with the 70p price tag slapped on them and the increasing demand for Mp3 players.

That said, you cant beat a good album. I'd get very bored of singles all the time. I prefer to get excited about the album release and go and pick it up in stores rather than logging in 1 day and finding out that my favourite bands have released another single and no one really knew about it.
raspberryman
post Jun 14 2007, 07:10 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9

Hooray! something I'd heard already before Mikkaelson posted it. go me.

--------------------
"tell all your friends you're an angel"

Parasite Information: http://www.parasiteofficial.co.uk
Parasite MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/parasiteofficial
Barry
post Jun 14 2007, 10:21 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 48

I really couldn't care less if every other band follows this "Trend".
If it does happen, alot more effort will be placed in they're singles, a shorter period in-between band releases will also become aparant.
If it does happen, most bands will lean more towards pop music, as it's the only way they're gonna get they're music out.

There's alot more reasoning to give, all I have to say is; Mondern Bands = Shit anyway.
Livingston
post Jun 15 2007, 12:25 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 88

I could, potentially, believe that albums may eventually stop being sold. With online stores offering us more choice and the ability to pick only the tracks we want, it does make you question if there's much point in grouping something as an "album" anymore.

At the same time, they'd have to be careful. I can see regular single releases giving us weak and possibly unpolished work (not specifically from Ash, I mean if other's follow suit). I don't think a three-four minute track now and again is really going to capture people's interest. It'd be a bit like dropping a stone in the ocean; it'll cause a small ripple and not much else. Drop a damn good boulder, and it makes a splash worth noticing.

At least when you have an album you know you've got 10 or so tracks of this artist which you hopefully want to listen to.

... *exits in a rambling style* blink.gif
quiet rob
post Jun 15 2007, 01:53 PM
Post #6

Unregistered

Call me old fashioned but I like my albums thank you very much! Also i'm not a fan of downloadable music. I can see myself in 30 years time STILL going to 2nd hand record stores (If theres any left!) to find a nice album to sit down and listen to!

A Singles compilation is not going to be the same as the traditional album.... think about it!

I do agree on the fact that some bands would perform a lot better purely as a singles band though.

Rant of older than his years Rob over!
andrew
post Jun 15 2007, 01:58 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 43

QUOTE(quiet rob @ Jun 15 2007, 02:53 PM)

Call me old fashioned but I like my albums thank you very much! Also i'm not a fan of downloadable music. I can see myself in 30 years time STILL going to 2nd hand record stores (If theres any left!) to find a nice album to sit down and listen to!

A Singles compilation is not going to be the same as the traditional album.... think about it!

I do agree on the fact that some bands would perform a lot better purely as a singles band though.

Rant of older than his years Rob over!

I haven't ever purchased a download! when I was younger I downloaded the odd track for free but soon stopped. I prefer the artwork and feel of a cd I would prefer to look for a bargain album on ebay or just shop on play.com rather than download it all. I dont know why? just without it the album doesen't seem to sound as good and it does not feel as right.
raspberryman
post Jun 16 2007, 12:05 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9

Yeah I agree, albums are important. It's not just about songs, it's about creating pieces of music.
I have never used a download service to purchase music, but obviously i will in a coupleof weeks when my band's download only single is released..... <plug plug>

--------------------
"tell all your friends you're an angel"

Parasite Information: http://www.parasiteofficial.co.uk
Parasite MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/parasiteofficial
Mikkaelson
post Jun 16 2007, 12:25 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17

Call me a prog rocker but the art work that comes with an album is just as important as the music..... hence downloading sucks monkey balls.

Also, a collection of singles has no feeling and no soul.....

Good job I thought Ash were crap anyway

--------------------
Cigerettes, ice cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary
Cadillacs, blue jeans, drop a glass full of antique sherry